Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Can a book really do this ?

Last week I finished "Angels and Demons”. If one word can express the reading experience its "WOW” - remember all capitals underlined and bold!

Although there are enough controversies surrounding this book and Da Vinci code (WOW again) one has to accept his works are very much inspiring stands apart from the rest.

For 3 to 4 days all I could think was the story. During the times I wasn’t reading, the last scene I read - kept playing on and on in my head. Page turners like this don’t generally offer philosophical or spiritual insights, because the quotes won’t settle in while you are rushing through the pages. However Dan brown has done a wonderful job of making an irresistible portion of Spirituality, Religion, Science and History.

Here are some quotes I loved from this book.

"Science and religion are not at odds. Science is simply too young to understand."

"Science seems irrelevant. Science can heal, or science can kill. It depends on the soul of the man using the science. It is the soul that interests me"

"Vittoria Vetra: Religion is like language or dress. We gravitate toward the practices with which we were raised. In the end, though we are all proclaiming the same thing. That life has meaning. That we are grateful for that created us.
Robert Langdon: So you’re saying that whether you are a Christian or a Muslim simply depends on where you were born?
Vittoria Vetra: Isn’t it obvious? Look at the diffusion of religion around the globe.
Robert Langdon: So faith is random?
Vittoria Vetra: Hardly. Faith is universal. Our specific methods for understanding it are arbitrary. Some of us pray to Jesus, some us go to Mecca, some of us study subatomic particles. In the end we are all just searching for truth, that which is greater than ourselves. "

"Robert Langdon: Do you believe in God?
Vittoria Vetra: Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to. "

1 comment:

Aarti said...

The best part was watching the movie and feasting on all the Chapels, so beautiful.. made me wanna make a trip there :)

Digital fortressum padichein, aana vazhkaiya veruthuttein..inime dan brown books padika koodathunnu mudivu panniyirukkein :/