Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Erma Bombeck's finest

Recently read about her in Aarti post. Got interested and googled her, her quotes are witty and insightful, hoping to buy her books soon :) below are the lovely quotes of hers I found in internet.

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died."

"There are people who put their dreams in a little box and say, "Yes, I've got dreams, of course I've got dreams." Then they put the box away and bring it out once in awhile to look in it, and yep, they're still there."

When your mother asks, "Do you want a piece of advice?" it is a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway."

"It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else."

"Did you ever notice that the first piece of luggage on the carousel never belongs to anyone?"

"Dreams have but one owner at a time. That is why dreamers are lonely"

"Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart."

7 comments:

Kannabiran, Ravi Shankar (KRS) said...

//When I stand before God at the end of my life,

I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left,

and could say, "I used everything you gave me//

Loved this sooooo much! :)
Use and exhaust one great talent, than
Muse and multiply miniscule talents for nobody's good! :)

பல மரமும் கண்ட தச்சன்
ஒரு மரமும் வெட்டான்! :)

Looks like Erma is very inquisitive and interesting, though she is mostly tagged a "humorist"! :)
Might reserve her "The Grass Is Always Greener Over The Septic Tank" in the New York Grand Central Library tomorrow!

TheUncanny said...

//"It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else."//

This is so true...Nice one...
will chk out more of her quotes today!

Aarti said...

:)
I got intro'd to her after randomly picking up one of her books in the library!!!
name of the book --"When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home"

Glad u like her stuff!!! :)

sri said...

@ aarti
//name of the book --"When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home"
//

Tats hilarious hehe :) would buy her book sometime :) Thanks for introducing

@ KRS
Even I liked this quote da.
Let me know how the book is :)

@ Theuncanny
Yeah the quotes are so good, no wonder she was the best comic writer at her time

Sujata said...

Cool post! I am going to do the same...google her! :)

sri said...

welcome sujatha :)

Sharon said...

Now, those are some pretty inspirational quotes. My first time here:) I like the concept of your blog!